Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Realist Old New Yorker I Know!


This here is Thaddius (Teddy) and by no contest, he is the Real Deal to the fullest. Man, there is so much to talk about that I dont know where to begin. I will start by saying I have the privilege of working w/ him. The stories he has are something like the movie Big Fat Liar, but his are true. He has honor, loyalty, a BIG heart and he is sharp with it. Dont be fooled by the one eye and his age. This guy works circles around younger people. His knowledge is like an encyclopedia. He is originally from L.E.S. and he just turned 77. He has time in the service like almost every true America his age. He has many years working for the M.T.A and he has retired from the F.A.A. As we work, we're all cracking jokes and right along side is Ted and he gets his in as well. This man has that good old New York dry sarcastic humor. Not until just recently I just started to fully understand it and I hold it close to me. Any ways one thing I really liked that he said was" I like the ways of the Indians, They saw the land to be owned by no one, to take care of it and it will take care of you". That is so true. He is always willing to help people out, but also quick to send them on their way with that bull shit. He told me as a kid, he would come home from school and tell his dad" dad, the teacher hit me" then he said that his dad would whack him too. If the teacher did it, he must of deserved it. Thats something that is missing in are culture. Im not saying beat the kid, but a good ol' spanking. You know, when we say try & walk in some else's shoes, I only hope to come close to him. I guess the reason why I am writing about him is because I have grown to hold him dear. He reminds me a lot of my grandpa. I feel like I am getting a second chance to spend time with him and that is something that does not come around to often in life. Ted can never replace my grandpa, but only help to make my memories of my grandpa fresh in my head & relive them. Thank you Ted.

No comments:

Post a Comment