Wednesday, May 27, 2009

P.S.87 Gang

A few days ago, I come across this picture with me in it and it really blew my mind. Along with this picture came another treat and that was a chance to connect with 2 friends from 3rd grade who I thought I would never talk to again. In the past all I have been writing about is me and how shitty things have been, but now Ima bout to take it back. 1986 fresh out the foster care system & finally back with my mom. It was a whole new world for me. When I was in all these different homes, there were all in the sticks so I had no clue about NYC at that time and all the shit going on in the streets. I was a fragile lil boy scared to death. When I moved back to my hood, the UWS, it was bugged. Things was real good. My mom was good and I was happy. My zone school was P.S.87 & what a dope school it was. It had a huge wood park and a big open school yard. The thing that was so fresh was after school you could find a lot of us from the immediate neighborhood there playing, riding bikes or just chilling with some of the older local kids that have shaped me into the man I am to day. Shouts to the whole 80th st. block. Jonny, Cynthia, Keith & Law, Pops, Amo and many more, But to my best best friend at that time Dee Lynch. This is his picture Im rocking with so thanks Dee for the treat. Through these older kids I became the artist I am today. The one's in the picture was the only kids that let me play games and was cool with me. Dee, Ronnie, Tyson, Chris and Desmond. The kid with the glasses I have no clue. Dee and my self use to hang out all the time and chill. we would ride bikes and I would go to his house. Him and his mother were real cool to me in a time where people were real mean and fucked up about my personal life with my momz. I cant tell you how much that meant to me then and even now. Thanks Dee. As for Ronnie, I remember my first day of school being crazy and then after lunch when we were going into the building from the school yard, I dont remember why, but he punched me in the gutz! Its all good Ronnie we were kids then and you have been forgiven a loooong time ago. Chris was a laid back cat who could really draw well. I remember him drawing Optomus Prime and all the other transformers to the Tee. This kid was nasty with it. Ronnie use to like the graffiti shit I would draw, that was my thing more so. The other kid Desmond, he never really was in school. Why? I dont know, but he was quiet from what I remember. All I know is that we had a blast as kids then growing up in NYC. We were in the streets playing and being a kid. It was the best. Whats crazy to me, is that the streets were worst then, then now and we ran them. Today its just not the same. Times are safer, but I wouldnt let my child in the streets to play alone. Its just not the same as then. Oh well! I would give anything to go back in time and live those days over. Yo Dee, your the last one I know that knew my moms and that she use to call me "Spunky". I hated that name with a passion and on top of it all, my moms had all the kids in the hood calling me that shit and now I miss it. Where did all that time go? Enjoy your life as much as you can & value the friends you have because nothing is for ever. This picture is the dopest Dee. Good looking on leaking it to the world. Much love to the P.S.87 gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment